Tuesday, 15 November 2016

Reflection 2 ( Pedagogy )



    Hi everyone. Its feel so good to see you all again.

Image result for school
Back to school

      Hey, do you guys still remember our golden times while studying at school? I must say that those days are one of the most great time in my life. Actually, all the experiences at school are really help me in my study right now. For example, last few weeks I learnt about teaching pedagogies or also known as method of teaching and while i'm studying this i can recognize which one of my teachers who applied certain methods. Each teacher have their own way and styles.


      If i given a chance to teach Form 4 students in English subject, I would like to apply few teaching methods which i think is suitable. Direct instruction, student-centered teaching, and problem based learning would be fantastic to be applied for Form 4 students. Why ? Let's me explain the reasons.



Image result for direct instruction
Add caption
Steps for Direct Instruction

    Direct instruction is a method of teaching that the students are following the teachers instruction and the teachers as a role model for them. This can be very effective for Form 4 students because they get a clear details about the tasks. But, this pedagogy can be applied for only certain topic because Form 4 students basically already matured and they should be given an opportunity to develop their creative thinking. If I only used this kind of method, I believe that the students will not get enough space to think out of the box and explore new ideas. Direct instruction is very helpful for students in some cases but it's not enough for a teachers to just apply this method.

Image result for student centered learning
Let the students get their hand dirty and have fun in class.

    So, to let them participate and voice out their ideas, I choose student-centered learning method. This method focus on the students' participation in class. By this, i can evaluate each one of the students and can increase their confidence level to talk. Even I am the teacher but using this way I also can learn because the students usually have some different ideas from me. It is okay to let the class have some noise and let them learn something rather than keep the quite environment but the students learnt less. Don't you guys think so ?


Image result for problem
We give the problem, let them think and solve.
    As a teacher who teach Form 4 class, i need to realize that the students will face more new things in near future when they put their feet in university. So, as a preparation for them i choose to apply problem based learning so that they can adapt in real life which is really need them to think critically. This is one of the way for me to help them being more rational in making decision. The students not only get more understanding about the topic but also I can implement something for their future. 2 in 1!

     For now, that's all. Thanks and don't forget to wait for my next post.

 

 
     

6 comments:

  1. Hai Fatin, it is interesting to read your reflection as you say those school days memories are always the best. I have a question to ask which I can't really figure it out, how do you apply problem based teaching approach in teaching English. In my opinion I thought problem based learning work best in mathematics.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Danitah. Thank you for interested reading my reflection. For your question, problem based teaching approach can be used in teaching English by giving the students a text and ask them to identify the the problem from the text. From this, let them figure out the best solution for the problem. English is actually can be related to daily life. By using this approach, teacher can help them to enhance their thinking skills as well. Hope this answer your question.

      Delete
    2. Okay that is interesting, thank you fatin.

      Delete
  2. Hello Fatin. I have read through your reflection. I was interested with the student centered learning. You said that this kind of learning are more focused on students. Students are participating in the learning process. That's what we want nowadays. Students should engage and contribute what on their thinking without been distracted by teacher. In this concept, teachers as guide and facilitate students in learning process. So, my question is, how student-centred learning approach students to be proactive in the classroom. Can you explain, is there any teaching tools/methods that can help educators to implement the student-centered learning in the classroom?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Adli. As you said, students centered learning is one of effective way and we share the same opinion about that. Back to your question, one of teaching methods that we can use is question and answer method. This mean that once the teacher ask question, it is compulsory for the students to give the answer. Right or wrong is not important as long as they give feedback and try their best to answer the question. for this method, teacher also need to engage with the students and keep encourage them to ask questions or answer teacher's question.

      Delete
    2. Thank you Fatin Arina for replying back my comment. Okay, it's good for teachers to keep engage with students and encourage them to ask question or answer teacher's question. I also want to add an input. Maybe you should try to include some positive reinforcement in your teaching method such as giving reward or praise. I am very sure by doing this, students will be more engaged during your teaching lesson.

      Delete